Well, here I go again changing my mind about what recipe I would like to share with you! Yesterday I made one of the most delicious chicken dishes that I have ever prepared: Bacon Wrapped Jalapeño Cheese Chicken Rolls! Sounds like a mouthful, doesn’t it? And such a delicious mouthful indeed! I just had to write about this fabulous recipe today! And...You can find all the ingredients in our Sayulita tiendas!
• 4 skinless boneless chicken breasts - Many of Sayulita’s carnicerias (butchers) sell them
• 4 good sized jalapeños - Fruteria Alejandrina run by Lidia almost always has nice big ones
• 4 blocks of cold cream cheese cut to fit inside the body of the jalapeños - Alas Blancas always carries Philadelphia Cream Cheese
• 8-12 very thin slices of bacon - the Fud brand in a package is very thinly sliced. Thick cut bacon is very popular these days, but trust me on this, for this recipe you really want very thin slices.
1. Prepare jalapeños - Holding jalapeños with long tongs, lightly char all sides on the stovetop if you have gas elements, or under the broiler, if using an electric stove. Slice off stem end and remove all seeds and membrane with a paring knife, working carefully to keep jalapeño intact
2. Lay each boneless skinless breast in the center of a large sheet of plastic wrap and then cover with another sheet of wrap.
3. Pound breasts until they are flattened and very thin. I used my wooden rolling pin to flatten because my Sayulita kitchen does not have a mallet. Worked perfectly! Sprinkle salt & pepper over flattened chicken.
4. Place small block of cream cheese inside jalapeño.
5. Place stuffed jalapeño at bottom edge of flattened breast and roll up.
6. Beginning at one end, roll 1 or 2 bacon slices over entire roll, overlapping a bit, as you wrap it around. Then roll 1 or 2 bacon slices from the top to the bottom and up again ensuring that there is no chicken exposed.
7. Place rolls on parchment paper covered baking sheet.
8. Bake @ 300 degrees for 45 minutes then remove from oven; pour off any bacon fat; raise oven temperature to broil and place back in oven for 5-10 minutes until bacon has crisped.
9. Indulge! Honestly my mouth is watering just thinking about this yummy dish. For the last few months I have been researching and enjoying a ketogenic lifestyle way of eating. What is that? ...you might be asking yourself. Stay tuned for my next column where I will tell you more!
If you have any comments, questions, or would like to special order a fancy appetizer or dessert from me, you can reach me at Live, Love, & Eat in Sayulita.
Written by: Karina Shecter