Hi everyone. I am so happy to be here sharing recipes that are tried and true, and that I truly love! I wanted to share something really yummy with you all, and I finally decided on Fudgy Brownies. A site called thekitchen.com set up a taste test using brownie recipes from Martha Stewart, Ina Garten, the Pioneer Woman, and Alton John, and Alton John’s Brownies were clearly the winner. I made them yesterday to take to an afternoon get together and they were perfect for a late Sayulita snack; fudgy, simple to make, and oh so delicious!
Guess what? The deep chocolate flavor comes from Cocoa rather than from the more expensive Bar Chocolate. How great is that; it calls for ingredients that most bakers already always have on hand in their kitchen pantry. These brownies were a big hit at my get together. I served them with a generous dollop of whipped cream, and the compliments kept rolling in.
The recipe is below. I would love to hear from you about how they turn out. You can leave your review or report in my comments section on my Sayulita Life Webpage.
THE WINNING ALTON BROWN’S FUDGY BROWNIES: (slightly modified)
-Soft butter for greasing the pan
-Flour for dusting the buttered pan
-4 large eggs
-¾ cup white sugar
-¾ cup brown sugar
-8 ounces melted butter
-1 & ¼ cups cocoa, sifted
-2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
-½ cup flour, sifted
-½ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F
- Butter and flour an 8x8 pan
- Beat the eggs in large mixing bowl until very fluffy and light yellow in color
- Add both sugars
- Add remaining ingredients, and mix to combine
- Set in oven, and bake for 45 minutes (*It is critical to not over-bake, so begin testing with a toothpick at 35 minutes. Stick the toothpick in the center of the brownies and then remove rapidly to see if there is residue or not. If there is no residue, the brownies are done. Each oven can be slightly different; my oven took 43 minutes.)
- Remove to a rack to cool (*Please resist the temptation to cut into until cool.)
- Serve with a dollop of lightly sweetened whipped cream or vanilla ice cream
Oh my goodness, these are so delicious, and you will love them. Stayed tuned, as I already have my next column planned for you- a beautiful strawberry cake. For questions, review, or more information, please visit my Sayulita Life Web Page.
Written by: Karina Shecter