The verdict is in! I wanted to make a delicious, simple, and easy appetizer that would be perfect for an upcoming home-cooked Thanksgiving meal, or even for a fun dinner party, and I found it! Have you ever made Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms with melted cheese? I have tasted a few different stuffed mushroom recipes, but have never tasted any with chorizo before. I made these stuffed mushrooms last night because I happened to have on hand the three ingredients that are needed for this recipe. All these ingredients are easily available here in Sayulita. How great is that? My husband and I both agreed that this appetizer is a real winner!
-1 Mexican chorizo, casing removed
-12 large and very firm mushrooms- can be white or crimini (brown)
-Grated Manchego cheese; I chose to use manchego delactosada (lactose free), but regular Manchego works fine also. How much cheese to use? You will need to guess just depending on how much cheese you like.
- Over medium heat, cook raw chorizo until it is fully cooked throughout.
- Carefully remove mushroom stems from the mushroom, and be sure that you have a nice sized cavity or space to fill. I scraped a bit out of the mushroom with a pointed spoon to make my cavities a bit larger.
- Spoon the cooked chorizo into the mushroom’s cavity, and fill so that you have a nice round top sticking up.
- Top off the stuffed mushrooms generously with the grated manchego cheese.
- Roast in a 350 degree oven until cheese is melted; this usually takes about 8-10 minutes. I used my toaster oven this.
- Serve at room temperature.
Yummy and so easy to prepare. ENJOY!
Because Thanksgiving is coming up, I thought I would also make some shortbread pecan bars as a festive dessert. They are much easier to prepare than an actual whole pecan pie, and are oh so delicious! Check out my next column for this recipe.
If you have any comments or questions, please connect with me through my Sayulita Life Web Page. I love hearing from you! The holiday season begins with Thanksgiving and is followed later with Christmas, and New Years. As you know, I LOVE making fancy appetizers and special desserts for these special occasions. If you don’t feel like cooking, but are having or will be inviting your Sayulita friends over, remember that I am available to make some delicious food for you with just a three day advance notice on your order. Please contact me at my Sayulita Life Web Page to place your order!
*Written by: Karina Shecter