I was at Mega in Buscerius yesterday and bought some already sliced very thin chicken breast filets. I didn’t know how I was going to prepare them until I found this recipe for coconut lime chicken.
I had all the ingredients in my fridge and pantry so I decided to give it a try.
I was more than pleased with the results, the sauce was fantastic. I really want to share this recipe with you. This one is a must make!
- 1 pound chicken filets. If U aren’t going to Mega buy whole skinless boneless breasts. Slice them in 1/2 lengthwise and pound each cutlet between parchment paper or plastic wrap until very thin. I always have parchment paper on hand and that would always be my preference over plastic wrap.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 green onions , green and whites sliced thinly; separated
- 2 cloves minced garlic. I like to use my garlic press for this.
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Zest of a whole lime and then 2 Tablespoons of the juice.
- 2 Tablespoons liquid honey
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup of coconut milk or 1 can if you like lots of sauce
- 2-3 Tablespoons fresh chopped cilantro
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh spinach leaves
1.Season chicken with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a large cast-iron or stainless steel pan over medium high heat.
3. Melt butter with 1 Tablespoon olive oil.
4. Sear chicken filets for 30 seconds on each side. You do not want these thin filets cooked through.
5. Transfer them immediately to a plate and set aside
6. To the same pan add the remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil and cook the white part of the green onion for 2 minutes; then add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.*make sure to not burn the garlic.*
7. Stir in the chicken stock, lime zest and juice, honey and red pepper flakes.
8. Simmer and reduce by half; do not boil.
9. Stir and scrape the bottom of the pan to loosen any browned bits.
10. Stir in the coconut milk and season with salt and pepper to taste.
11. Simmer until reduced and thickened, about 4-5 minutes.
12. Return chicken to the pan with the spinach leaves for 2 minutes. This will finish cooking the chicken.
13. Stir in green parts of the onion and the cilantro and then serve over cooked rice or cauliflower rice.
This sounds like lots of ingredients and steps. Please don’t let that stop you from making this dish! It comes together very quickly , especially if you do mise en place (everything ready to add).
I really do hope that you enjoy this recipe as much as I did.
If you have any questions or comments you can reach me through my webpage Live Love and Eat in Sayulita.
I love hearing from you!
Written by Karina Shecter