I recently indulged one of my kitchen dreams; I bought myself and am using (pretty much daily) an airfryer.
I don’t know why it took me so long to indulge… mainly cause I really didn’t want another appliance sitting on my kitchen counter. Well let me tell you that making space on your counter might be a challenge… but please do it! If you need to pull it out of a cupboard every time you want to air fry something...you will not use it to it’s best potential. There are many different models and brands out there. After doing my due diligence I chose the 7 quart Gourmia.It is the basket style , a very good size and is really easy to clean.
And guess what? I LOVE IT!!!
I have made chicken, love it for wings; fish, tonight is breaded cod filets; bacon; asparagus and Brussel Sprouts that are wrapped in a thin slice of bacon; broccoli, cauliflower; and roasted potatoes.. they are the BEST roasted potatoes I have ever eaten! And then there are frozen appies, French fries & whatever else you can dream of trying!! I had read about Caramelized fruits and had to try it out for myself. I had no idea that caramelized bananas and peaches could turn out to be so very delicious!
So here is what you do:
1. Buy ripe but firm bananas and/or peaches. I really like the baby bananas best for this. They have amazing flavour. See attached pics. I had to insert the pic of my banana bowl.
Isn’t it beautiful?
2. Make up a cinnamon mixture of brown sugar and cinnamon.
3. Slice peaches in half and remove the pit. I couldn’t remove the pit on mine so cooked with the pit still in. Please see attached pic.
Some may want to remove the skin. To do this dip peaches in boiling water for 30 seconds and then place in an ice water bath. You can then easily peel the skin off.I do prefer the skin on…good fiber…but do as you choose.
4. Slice bananas lengthwise for whole bananas and cut into 1/2 inch pieces if you prefer small individual pieces. The individual ones were perfect!
5. Sprinkle a thin layer of the cinnamon brown sugar mixture on the cut surfaces. Here u can add as much or as little as you would like . See the attached pic.
6. Spray the bottom rack of the fryer with a good oil such as avocado oil.
* NEVER use an aerosol spray as it can damage the non-stick finish.
Buy yourself a glass spray bottle that is then dedicated to your fryer.
7. Place fruit in the basket with the cinnamon mixture side facing up.
8. Cook on high heat for approximately 6-10 minutes for the peaches and about 4-5 minutes for the bananas. The smell is heavenly.
Of course the timing depends on how ripe your fruit is. Test with the tip of a sharp knife to make sure that the fruit is soft. Please be sure to underbake and then after testing add more time if needed. Please see attached pic.
*You can always add more time but you can’t recover the fruit if it is mushy. I don’t like mushy fruit*
9. U can scrape the whole carmelized banana onto a serving plate or leave it in the skin.
10. Serve with either vanilla ice cream or some whipped heavy cream. I myself prefer the whipped cream. I don’t add any sugar cause of the sweet fruit and the cinnamon sugar mixture.
11. Enjoy!!! I sure hope that you love this simple delicious fruit treat as much as I do!
If you have any questions or comments you can reach me through my web page Live Love & Eat in Sayulita. I do love hearing from you!
Written by Karina Shecter