Unbelievable - amazing location, beautiful charm, laid back vibe
I rarely write property reviews, but folks, this one is the real deal:
1) the owners never took more than 2 minutes to answer any calls that I had... and when you're in a foreign country on vacation, you never want to be left hanging around if important things need dealing with. These guys are pros and take their property very seriously.
2) the property itself is really well staffed -- Aracely the cleaning lady came every day to tidy up, sanitize the washrooms and change linens / towels as needed. There was also a gardener that was there every other day, and the boss of the maintenance staff came by too. None of them spoke perfect english, but they were all respectful, positively helpful, and proud of the work they did with care. Kitchen was well stocked with plenty of large and small plastic cups (to enjoy poolside) as well as glass cups, and a microwave, toaster, fridge/freezer, and stove.
3) the location is great... just on the other side of the "river" and away from the noisy parts of town... but still only a 5-10 minute walk at the most from the main village square.
4) the layout is amazing; built on a hillside, the property takes full advantage of the slope in creating an old colonial villa style house spread out over many levels, giving the property a sprawling yet intimate feel. The street level is also the pool level. a few steps down from there, and it's the kitchen level and the open air table just outside the kitchen. A few steps further down inside the house leads to the 2 main bedrooms which each can sleep 3 very comfortably, 4 if younger children. A few steps down from there and you are in a covered outdoor side yard, with table / chairs and a coffee table with lounge chairs -- this cool spot is also equipped with 2 large hammocks - a great retreat from the sun while remaining outdoors. Taking a curved staircase up from the pool level to the second level there is a massive terrace that overlooks the pool on one side where open, and under a roofed area overlooks the rooftops of sayulita and the distant hills and amazing sunsets. The roofed area of the huge 2nd level terrace also features a massive corner couch that 2 people could sleep on with an enormous square coffee table ...the setting sun shines below the roofline so you don't really feel under a roof there. The second level also has the 3rd bedroom and ensuite shower / toilet. So there are 4 distinct yet interconnected areas OUTSIDE which was great as we were travelling with kids ranging in age from 7 months to 9 years... we could very comfortably all spread out to different parts of the property when people wanted to relax in different ways, and then we could all get together too in any of these zones. The property is very well designed from this perspective to accommodate 2 families with kids or 3 couples. Air conditioning and wifi worked, though wifi modem needed resetting a few times...
5) the landscaping / garden / plants are unreal. They very cleverly used trees, shrubs, landscaping, and scattered perhaps 100 large terracotta pots with all kinds of massive and interesting tropical plants to create visual screens from neighbours and for bedroom windows, really giving the property an intimate feel while being overlooked (house nearly totally blocked by grove of palm trees) by a neighbouring property up the hill.
6) Sayulita is one of the best little villages on Earth. the people are super friendly, there is no attitude, a very chill vibe, great weather and food, 24-hour access to doctors, and a beautiful pre-commercialization vibe. There are no starbucks or mcdonalds or large hotels or cruise ships or hordes of annoying tourists.
All of us were sad to leave and could have stayed another month!