Driving Directions to Sayulita, Nayarit from Puerto Vallarta
Directions to Sayulita from Puerto Vallarta
Sayulita is 24 miles (40 kms) north of the Puerto Vallarta airport. Upon exiting the airport you have to make a right turn and IMMEDIATELY get into the left hand lane in order to be able to effectively do a U-turn so as to be traveling north on Hwy 200. Follow signs for Compestela and Tepic. Initially you will be on a 6-lane highway which will narrow to four lanes and eventually two lanes.
Keep travelling straight (north). Five minutes beyond the state border, you will reach the small town of Mezcales (a set of traffic lights at a road junction) and then after another 10 minutes you will pass through the town of Bucerias. After Bucerias, Mex Hwy 200 continues as a four-lane highway for a few more miles. Continue straight (north) to Sayulita.
The highway then changes to a two-lane road, and heads up and over a series of hills in a winding and twisting manner with many curves. Watch for animals grazing along the road and slow moving vehicles. Keep travelling straight (north) through the winding two lane road. Eventually you will reach the village of San Ignacio (approximately 37 kms from the airport) kms. marker 125. The highway through San Ignacio is lined with speed bumps. You will have to slow right down through this village due to the multiple speedbumps on the MEX 200 two lane highway.
There is one more hill past the speed bumps in San Ignacio and on descending the other side be prepared to get into a central left-turn lane for the turnoff to Sayulita (kms marker 123). There is a large Pemex gas station and OXXO convenient store right on the corner. Once you have turned left at the Pemex in to Sayulita, travel one mile/1.6 kms and keep right once you go under the big brick Sayulita Archway, follow the road that forks downwards to the right. There is a sign that marks staight to Punta Mita and right to Sayulita. Make sure you fork off to the right in to Sayulita. Once you have turned right, keep travelling and you will arrive at the main Sayulita town bridge. Just beyond the bridge is downtown Sayulita.
- En-route, Just before Bucerias on your right, you will see, a “Mega” or “Comercial” supermarket where you may wish to stop to buy supplies, groceries and drinks – stores in Sayulita are reasonably well stocked but slightly more expensive.
- En-route, at the state line (Jalisco to Nayarit) it is possible that both or only the left hand lane will be diverted off the highway to a military/police check point -don't worry; they are there for your protection.
- Watch for speedbumps as you approach downtown Sayulita, known as "topes". These are in place to help slow down traffic in residential and/or pedestrian areas.
- Please Note that after crossing the main bridge as you enter the town of Sayulita, there is a one-way system; follow the right hand fork all the way to the town plaza.
- If you are going to catch the bus from the airport, cross over the highway using the pedestrian bridge. The bus line serving Sayulita is COMPESTELA and their buses are white and green. Look for the name "Sayulita" written on the windshield of the bus. Note: Not all COMPESTELA buses go to Sayulita.
Directions to Sayulita from Guadalajara
The route is easily marked with plenty of public road signs to Puerto Vallarta. Head west on the toll hwy towards Tepic / Tequila. Continue for approximately 2 hours until the turnoff to Compestela. Continue for an hour on hwy MEX 200 down the incredibly windy/twisty road to Las Varas and for another 30 minutes to Sayulita at km marker 123. There is a large sign letting you know you've reached the turn-off to Sayulita. You will see the big Pemex gas station and OXXO convenient store on the oposite corner. Turn right in to Sayulita.
Once you have turned right at the Pemex gas station in to Sayulita, travel one mile/1.6 kms and keep right once you go under the big brick Sayulita Archway, follow the road that forks downwards to the right. There is a sign that marks staight to Punta Mita and right to Sayulita. Make sure you fork off to the right in to Sayulita. Once you have turned right, keep travelling and you will arrive at the main Sayulita town bridge. Just beyond the bridge is downtown Sayulita.