Day of coordination good. Communication before really poor
We read so many great reviews prior to engaging Sea of Dreams, so were confident our decision would be a great one, but we were left feeling pretty underwhelmed by the overall experience. The coordination of the set up on the wedding day itself though was great (apart from a couple of elements flagged below) - Yazmin and her team really did a great job on the day. I had just wished that the planning element matched this level of service... it really felt like my wedding wasn't important and they didn't care prior to this...
1) communication was really poor - I would ask the same question multiple times without getting an answer. I don't think we were contacted once pro-actively, it was always us following up.
2) negotiations - we were told that they would negotiate on our behalf with vendors, but it felt like prices were being inflated/no proactive negotiations were taken place (e.g. we asked how much it would cost for a handful of leaves to be used in the centre of table as decoration and I was quoted $50USD per table!! - nearly the cost of my bridesmaid bouquets).
3) Minimal information - Information came in piece-meal style, it was very frustrating getting complete information or being presented with different options... One example was when I asked if there were any florists in Sayulita that I could get some extra flowers to use sparingly throughout the venue I was told there wasn't... yet I drove past one as I came into Sayulita! And instead of suggesting I went to the neighbouring town where there were two, no suggestions were made... I ended up spending less than $50USD and getting tons of additional foliage and flowers to use across the venue.
4) Lack of attention
- We had hoped to get married in Mexico legally. Yazmin reassured us on multiple times that the process was really simple and she would guide us through the whole process (as noted in the contract), but a few weeks prior to the wedding, I wanted some extra reassurance and checked we hadn't missed anything - there was a fundamental document I would need as a British Citizen that I could only get after 10 days being in Mexico, or from within the UK. I was getting married 5 days after arriving in Mexico, so neither option was possible. We were devastated as it hadn't been flagged to us... when we told Yazmin, her response was just 'OK'...
- We had planned to meet Yazmin at our venue after arriving in Mexico - she didn't turn up. She sent the owner of the venue instead, despite the fact we had never even met or spoken in person and it was a couple of days before the wedding and we hadn't discussed set up or anything. The owner of the venue asked us whether we still wanted to talk to her, and if so he would have to call her over.
- When my bouquet arrived, it looked exactly what I had envisioned, but it looked partially dead (my mum even pulled a dried up branch out) - by the ceremony and photos, my flowers were falling out everywhere. My husband's button hole had completely died before I walked down the aisle (it looked so bad we had to take it off for photos). I sent shots of the type of arrangements we were hoping for, but I assumed flowers would be selected and stored in a way suitable for the climate... I was hoping some quality control was in place before giving me dead flowers.
- As part of the contract, we were told they would write us a budget. Despite knowing our budget, they sent us one that was nearly 3 times what we had told them.
- I gave Yazmin my vowels to pass onto the celebrant before I arrived... she didn't give them to him. Luckily I had a spare copy that I brought with me in the car when I arrived.
- At the end of the night, I was told I had to take my cake with me... in a white dress, on a golf cart and after celebrating... no heads up, I just got it put in my hands!
Overall, I found our interactions with these guys really stressful - having not planned a wedding before, and being out-of-country I was relying on these guys to help reassure and guide me through the process. I reluctantly didn't escalate the above points throughout the planning period, as I didn't want to set a negative tone prior to the wedding, and after sending full payment.