I recently discovered that creating a tortilla shell from a bacon weave is now my go-to recipe anytime I want a fun and savory breakfast! Yes, it can be more work than preparing your standard or regular bacon and eggs on a lovely Sayulita weekend morning, but I love this recipe so much that I don’t mind the extra couple of steps it requires to make. All the ingredients for this breakfast burrito are readily and easily available in almost all of our Sayulita tiendas.
-12-16 strips of bacon (the amount will depend on how big you want your burrito to be. Are you serving 2, 4 or more?)
-3+ eggs (again depending on how many people you are serving. I think it is best to make 2 smaller burritos rather than 1 big one. It will be much easier to handle a smaller one.)
-1/4 -1/2 cup of your favorite grated cheese. (I love the Manchego de Cabra, a wonderful grating cheese that Mega usually carries.)
-Mashed avocado or guacamole
-A fresh herb such as basil, minced
-Sour Cream (I like to use Lala’s most delicious crema, which can be found at Alas Blancas Tienda.)
-Salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lay 6 slices of bacon side by side.
- Fold every other strip of bacon in half onto itself and lay one strip of bacon in the middle vertical to the folded strips. Unfold the strips back over the vertical strip of bacon, and continue until all the strips have formed a nice lattice (see photos). The bacon lattice should have an equal number of horizontal and vertical strips.
- Bake until nearly cooked, but still very pliable. (This should take about 15 minutes.)
- Slide the bacon lattice onto a paper-towel lined plate, and allow it to cool for 10 minutes.
- Raise the oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
- Scramble the eggs in a medium to large sized mixing bowl with salt, pepper, and your fresh herb, such as basil.
- Melt butter into a small sauté pan and add the eggs; cook the eggs until just barely done.
- Add the grated cheese and scramble it into the eggs just until the cheese melts.
ASSEMBLY OF THE BURRITO:
- Pile eggs across the center of the bacon weave; top with salsa verde and the avocado/guacamole.
- Roll up the burrito fairly tightly.
- Return the burrito to the hot oven, and cook until the bacon crisps.
- Cut in ½ and serve.
I know that you will LOVE these as much as I do!
I am not available for catering until November but if you have any comments or questions please contact me through my web page LIVE, LOVE, & EAT IN SAYULITA.
I LOVE HEARING FROM YOU!
I recently discovered how to always make juicy burgers. They are called BUTTER BURGERS! I will share the simple recipe with you in my next article.
Written by: Karina Shecter