Isla Tortuga is a coconut palm covered island in Platanitos, north of Sayulita, surrounded on three sides by a 1200 acre ecological reserve, and with a Pacific Ocean beach facing the setting sun and a secluded surf break.
The island is a private, deeded property of 3.26 hectares (8 acres), with zoning permitting up to 18 residential or tourism units.
The uninterrupted beach which begins on Isla Tortuga stretches 10 miles to the South. Zoning restrictions forbid construction within 40 meters of mean high tide, protecting this view.
The owners of Isla Tortuga have worked for over 20 years with the local communities, county planners, the State of Nayarit and its university faculty, and Federal Environmental Authorities to guarantee the protection of this pristine coastline and wetlands from overdevelopment.
In 1996, zoning restrictions were put in place to limit the density of development, limit height of construction in the area to two stories, and to protect the sea turtle nesting beach South of Isla Tortuga.
An additional 20 meter building setback from the beach is also enforced. Shortly thereafter the Platanitos Ecological Reserve of 1200 acres of virgin wetlands, mangroves and mudflats was established, protecting this wilderness from any future development.
The bay to the West of Isla Tortuga, extending from San Blas to Punta Mita, which includes Sayulita and San Pancho, is a wintering ground for Humpback Whales which travel to this area from the Arctic Ocean to give birth and spend the winter.
A half mile off shore from Isla Tortuga, a reef area known as “El Bajo” provides a productive fishing ground for local anglers as well as a place to snorkel and in season swim with sea turtles, whale sharks, and manta rays that visit this feature.
South of the sandbar that separates Isla Tortuga from the mainland, a Sea Turtle Protection Camp known as Campamento Tortuguero Platanitos was established in 1995 to provide protection to the endangered Olive Ridley sea turtle which nests on this beach each summer.
Access to Isla Tortuga is provided by a public road which runs parallel to the beach, and crosses a sandbar which is only covered by water at the highest of tides. Power is available at the property line.
See more at www.islatortugamx.com