Ruth, owner of Experience Mex-Eco Tours, which is located near Sayulita, will make it her priority that you experience Mexico in all its glory. In a series of 1 to 7 day tours you will be immersed in Mexican culture and history and see the natural highlights, including Copper Canyon, Morelia & Monarch Butterflies, Guanajuato & San Miguel de Allende, Oaxaca, Chiapas, Mexico City, and more. For the truly adventurous, she also offers tours to Cuba, Guatemala and Peru!
Ruth, when was Experience Mex-Eco Tours established and with what vision in mind?
We started Experience Mex-ECO Tours in 2005 to support local community and conservation projects through short trips from the Costalegre area of Mexico. We still work with some local initiatives, but have also broadened our tour range to include many different parts of Mexico, as well as Guatemala, Cuba, and Peru. Our trips are aimed at learning more about the culture, nature, and history of the places we visit. We love to include visits that also benefit the local community, such as workshops/markets for local products and nature reserves.
With Experience Mex-Eco Tours, you offer something different in the world of tourism. Will you tell me what sets you apart from other tour agencies?
I think there are a few things that set us apart. One of those things is our passion for what we do.
Dan (my business partner) and I are both biologists and came to Mexico to work on a sea turtle conservation project, which we loved and wanted to share with others. The more we learn about Mexico, the more we want to share.
On a more serious note, I think there are a couple of other things that set us apart:
- Client satisfaction: We search for places/people that our clients are going to get excited about visiting and try our best to provide the best guides, hotels, and transport, while keeping our prices affordable. We also take client feedback seriously.
- Involving/supporting local businesses: We do our best to always, at a minimum, include information on, but often making visits to, local workshops, markets etc, as well as hiring local tour guides in each of our tour destinations.
Would you tell us a bit more about the multi-day tours you offer and for who are they most suitable?
Our multi-day tours are cultural tours to different parts of Mexico, offering a chance to see the highlights of each area with the knowledge of expert local guides. Although our trips are aimed at people over 50, they are also suitable for younger people with an interest in learning and seeing more of Mexico. Each season we offer a new multi-day tour because there is just so much to see in this beautiful country!
Tripadvisor granted you with the 2106 certificate of excellence, which is a great accomplishment. What, in your opinion, has brought you this far?
We have also recently been granted a 2017 certificate of excellence, which is down to a lot of hard work from our guides and tour leaders, a lot of planning on our behalf (Dan and I), and a bunch of amazing clients who leave great comments on our tripadvisor page.
In what way does Experience Mex-Eco Tours contribute to the community of Sayulita (and surrounding areas)?
Our offices are actually based in Bucerías and Puerto Vallarta, but we do pick-ups from Sayulita. Each year we support local initiatives/charities in one of the following ways:
- We receive volunteers to take part in sea turtle conservation projects and assisting English teachers in small community schools.
- We donate at least a couple of trips each season to local charities for auction or sponsor part of their fundraising events
- We offer tours to areas that either includes a donation to a local charity (e.g. Sea turtle Experience) or where a fee is paid to support a local charity/community project (e.g. Chapala Artisan Fair, Monarch Butterfly tour).
Is there anything else you would like to add?
For our November 2017 tour schedule we have two great tours scheduled!
The Day of the Dead from the 31st of October through the 3rd of November, and the Chapala Artisan Fair, the 10th through the 12th of November. Both of these tours are definitely recommended if you’d like to immerse yourself in Mexican culture.
Where can we find you?
We are located on Lázaro Cárdenas 39A in Bucerías centro, right near Sandrina’s restaurant, and in Puerto Vallarta our office is on Valentín Gómez Farías 179B, right next to the entrance to Hotel Eloisa, and directly opposite the Sunday farmer’s market.