Make totally yummy meals like the Spiralized Zucchini Carbonara I am going to share with you today!
I have to tell you that not eating refined carbohydrates is very difficult, but I have found the perfect solution! Honestly, if you ate this with your eyes closed, you would swear that you were eating pasta! I didn’t believe it until I tried it. These spiralized zucchini noodles are the perfect substitute. Another plus is that it all can be prepared on your stove top in your Sayulita kitchen (no oven needed)! This Spiralized Zucchini Carbonara recipe is definitely restaurant quality. Your family or friends will be so impressed!
- 2 large zucchinis - spiral sliced as noodles
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ounce thick sliced bacon, cut into 1/2 - 1 inch pieces
- 1 fresh sweet Italian sausage, casing removed, shaped into tiny patties
- 1 large shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 2 large portobello mushrooms - remove stem completely and slice into 1/8 inch thick slices and then half the slices
- 1-2 cups whipping cream… Alas Blancas always carries “crema para batir"
- 1/4-1/2 cup white wine such as Pinot Grigio; again go to Alas Blancas!
- 1/2 cup finely grated Regianno Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup finely grated Romano Pecorino cheese
- 3 large egg yolks
- Fresh ground pepper - do not add salt. There is a lot of salt in the cheeses and bacon.
- 2 Tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Put large pot of salted water on to boil
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until fat has rendered - it is nice to have bacon a bit chewy rather than crispy
- Add mushrooms and cook until softened - approximately 3 minutes
- Add shallots and saute until soft - about 1 minute
- Add garlic and cook just until fragrant - about 30 seconds
- Cook spiralized zucchini 2 minutes, pour noodles into a colander, and shake until all water has drained away
- Add the whipping cream to saute pan of sauce ingredients and simmer until slightlythickened. The sauce will be much thicker as it cools
- Add in cooked drained still hot noodles and stir gently to coat all with sauce
- Stir in cheeses - reserving a bit to sprinkle on top of each serving
- Remove from heat and then very slowly stir in 3 egg yolks. If you pour the eggs in quickly, you may end up with cooked egg yolks rather than the creaminess that they add to the sauce
- Add parsley, pepper & serve!
I promised you that the noodles taste just like real pasta noodles. Now ENJOY your ZUCCHINI CARBONARA. Yummy if I do say so myself! What do you think?
Stay tuned for another delicious carbohydrate free dish - Brussel Sprout Hash with Prosciutto Gremolata and Eggs, topped with a yummy Homemade Hollaindaise Sauce. I know that you will love it because I certainly do!