I love Asian food so much. The seasonings are perfect for my tastebuds. So when I came across these Asian Meatballs with a yummy dipping sauce, I just had to make them for my beautiful granddaughter’s 29th birthday. We are having the family for a special dinner tomorrow to try them out.
My menu consists of Asian Meatballs with a sesame dipping sauce drizzled over, individual Spanikopita, lemon potatoes, roasted green beans, roasted olives with caramelized shallots, roasted garlic cloves and feta, and as requested my famous Shmoo cake for dessert. (It is really only famous to my family and friends: A pecan torte with whipped cream and tons of homemade caramel sauce!) Sounds like it will be a truly delicious dinner!
So here is the recipe for the Asian Meatballs with sesame dipping sauce:
- 1&1/2 pounds ground chicken or ground turkey
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
I prefer the low sodium one if I can find it
- 1/2 cup crushed chicharrones
I also prefer the puffed ones that have no meat attached
Today I used the Fritos brand
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 2 Tablespoons crushed and then VERY FINELY chopped lemongrass. Use only the white part.
Gustavo and Rosie at our Sayulita Mercado grow organic lemongrass
My good friend Joy who lives part-time in Playa Chacala brought me a stalk from her garden 2 years ago. It grew like a weed so when I am in Sayulita I now always have fresh lemongrass to harvest! How wonderful is that!
- 1&1/2 -2 Tablespoons grated ginger
A micro-plane zester makes a great paste of ginger
- 1/4 cup finely sliced chives or green onions
- Sesame seeds to sprinkle over the meatballs.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees
2. Sauté the garlic and lemongrass for 1 minute
3 . Add all ingredients into a large bowl
4. Measure 1 ounce or a large greased cookie scoop full of chicken mixture and shape it into a ball
5. Sprinkle a few sesame seeds on top
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes till juices run clear
6. Drizzle sesame dipping sauce over meatballs and Serve!
The recipe for dipping sauce follows:
- 4 Tablespoons of soy sauce…reduced sodium
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tablespoons of water
- 1 Tablespoon of sweetener
Add all the above to a jar with a lid and shake it well before drizzling it over your yummy meatballs
I can’t wait to get the report back from my family tomorrow!
If you have any questions or comments you can always reach me through my web page: Live Love & Eat in Sayulita. I do love to hear from you!
Submitted by Karina Schecter
Edited by Amy Rose Pearson