I have always had a love affair with biscuits. Have you? Flakey on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside. Plain, or slathered with butter and jam or just butter, and oh my goodness; my favourite way to eat these! I came across a recipe yesterday when I was scrolling through facebook that looked good, easy and had ingredients we all usually have in stock.
I thought that I would try to see if this recipe was the biscuit of my dreams.
- 3 cups unbleached white ORGANIC flour. If you have been following me you will already know that I only use organic wheat flour. Wheat is sprayed with a herbicide generally 2 weeks before it is harvested . This accelerates the drying down of the grain so that farmers can harvest their crop as much as 2 weeks earlier than they normally would.
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 - 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of Tartar
- 3/4 cups cold butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup plus 2 Tablespoons milk
- Please see above pictures
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Combine dry ingredients.
3. Cut in cold butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives. I like to use my fingers to smear butter with flour to make flat petals. See picture above.
4. Combine egg and milk.
5. Add to dry ingredients and stir till combined.
6. Knead a few times.
7. Pat out 1” thick and cut with a cookie cutter or cut into squares with a sharp knife. I used a knife for mine.
8. Bake on ungreased cookie sheet until golden and done. Make sure that biscuits aren’t touching… leave an inch or so between them.
Wow! These biscuits really are the biscuits of my dreams You must try them. My favourite way to eat these is to split or cut in 1/2, a thick coat of unsalted butter and a tiny sprinkle of fine sea salt. So delicious I may bake another batch today!!!
If you have any questions or comments you can reach me through my web page Live Love and Eat in Sayulita. I love hearing from you!
Written by Karina Shecter